What is the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)?
Fanganhel et al (2016) define SoTL in the following terms:
Practice development, curriculum enhancement and student learning
- Opportunities for experimentation and innovation;
- Opportunities for investigation of, and reflection on, practice
- Vehicle to convey values and beliefs to develop student attributes.
Involves dissemination and impact
- Review and critique;
- Community-based and shared knowledge;
- Collaborative community;
- Impact on policy and practice.
Change and boundary-crossing
- Institutional or departmental change vehicle
- Tool for enhancement that can be applied across disciplines and contexts: professional development; institutionalisation-wide but context-specific; disciplinary and interdisciplinary;
- Development of industry-related skills
Requires the engagement of students
- Students engaged in their own learning, and as partners and co-researchers
Fanghanel, J., Pritchard, J., Potter, J. & Wisker, G. (2016) Defining and supporting the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL): A sector-wide study; Higher Education Academy